Arthritis is a group of inflammatory diseases of the movable joints of the musculoskeletal system (joints), which lead to the destruction of their cartilage and bone tissues. There are many causes of this disease. Among them are metabolic disorders, genetic predisposition, infections, injuries, excessive weight, excessive drinking, immune system disorders, great physical activity, etc. Depending on the disease cause, there are the following types of arthritis:
and some others.
According to the nature of the main pathological process of joints, arthritis can be divided into inflammatory, degenerative and combined. According to the disease course, it is divided into acute and chronic arthritis. There are four stages of disease progress. The immobilization of joints, as well as disorder of many organs, such as heart, liver, and kidneys can become the consequences of arthritis.
Treatment of this group of diseases involves a long, balanced complex of procedures, including physiotherapeutic procedures, therapeutic exercises, diet, and medical therapy. Medications are selected according to the disease type and form. However, the following groups of medications are required for any arthritis type:
- non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agents;
- cartilage protectors;
Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications for arthritis treatment
It should be noted that the main task of medications of this group is to jugulate disease symptoms, eliminate inflammation and pain. In comparison with corticosteroids, these agents have a smaller list of side effects; they are not hormones. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs for arthritis include the following agents:
- Well tolerated;
- Effectively relieves pain and inflammation;
- Highly active in inflammatory process suppression;
- Highly effective in the treatment of arthritis of the coxofemoral joints, can be taken for a long period;
- Not only relieves pain and inflammation, but also slows down the destructive processes of cartilage.
Cartilage protectors for arthritis treatment
The advisability of this group of medication is based on the structure improvement of the affected cartilage. Cartilage protectors slow down the destruction process and strengthen the cartilage tissue. The most commonly used cartilage protectors are:
- A natural agent, under the influence of which the processes of joint fluid production are activated, the cartilage tissue functionality is restored, the disease progression slows down and the risks of relapse are reduced;
- It is a structural material of cartilage restoration; it destroys damaging enzymes;
- Combined medications based on Glucosamine and Chondroitin. They influence the arthritis progression mechanisms and actively restore damaged tissues.
Bisphosphonates for arthritis treatment
A group of agents based on a bisphosphonate complex has a multidirectional effect. In arthritis treatment, they effectively relieve pain and inflammation. The advantage of these agents is that they perform as a bone matrix and active inhibitors of bone tissue destruction, normalize metabolic processes and restore the affected areas of the bone and cartilage. The most effective in the treatment of various forms of arthritis is the use of bisphosphonate complexes such as gels and ointments, which do not have any side effects. Thus, it can be used without time limits. Among them:
- body cream Repharm Ca-vitactive. It is based on the natural calcium-regulating complex affecting the calcium metabolism at the cell level, increasing tissue density, and preventing the accumulation of salts in joints;
- body cream KSIcream. It eliminates the cause of pain, relieves muscle spasm, inhibits the formation of insoluble salts, and regulates the calcium metabolism;
- body cream AKSINIA. It improves hemo- and microcirculation, participates in mineral metabolism regulation, and prevents crystallization and salt accumulation.
Professor of A.A. Bogomolets National Medical University L.V. Degtyareva.